Today I took a standardized test.
>> Thursday, October 23
Today I took a standardized test. Need I say more?
To some of you, this is a piece of cake. No essays, no short answer...only choices given, and ONE of them is correct. "Hmm...," you say. "It's not A...and it's not B. It's definitely not C, so it must be D!" You carefully click "D" and move on to the next.
In case you are not familiar with the thought process of those of us who can not do standardized tests, let me help.
"Jane is baking a pie. She goes out to the orchard and picks 10 apples. Jane generally uses 5 apples for her pie. How many apples does Jane have left?"
A.10
B. 6
C. 5
D. 0
Here is our question. So, first thing is first. This is an easy one. 10 apples. 5 in the pie. The answer is "C". Definitely, "C." Great, now we can move o.....wait a minute. It says that Jane "generally" uses 5 apples for her pie. What if today is not "generally." Maybe the apples were larger than normal and she only needs 4 apples? Maybe they are wanting me to think outside the box here and understand that "generally" is not "always". I got it. It must be "B." Definitely, "B." Shew...that was a close one.....well, "technically" they did not say Jane was making an apple pie. Maybe she wasn't going to make an apple pie at all. Maybe she was going to make a chocolate pie and, therefore, didn't need any of the apples? That would make the answer "A."
So, really, all I know here is that Jane is for sure making some kind of pie and has a huge amount of apples in her kitchen that she might not even use.......
This is why I hate standardized tests.
3 comments:
I have always wondered what was in that brain of yours and it is just as I presumed...scary :)
Very cool new lead picture on your blog. Who's the photog?
Time for a new post...I am going to hold you accountable to your blog commitment.
Post a Comment