The 401K

>> Wednesday, May 7

So, when I got to work today, Sheila called me in her office to talk. This is always a bit unnerving. I held my head high and walked into her office and sat down. She then starts telling me that on July 1, I am eligible to start contributing to my 401K. Ok, so first of all, you now know every bit of knowledge I have on the subject of a 401K. That's it...that's all I got. So she says I need to start thinking thinking about how much I want to put in it out of each paycheck. Secondly, I'M ONLY 24!!! I know....you don't have to say it. It such a great thing for me start doing this now..blah...blah...However, if I choose to contribute July 1, that takes money away from me now. I don't make that much and if I'm afraid if I give any more away, I won't have enough money to live until I can use my 401K. Lastly, on July 1 2009, my employer will contribute 3% of my earning into my 401K. So, whether I contribute or not, he will.
I am thinking I may not contribute right now....any suggestions??

2 comments:

Elizabeth Myatt May 7, 2008 at 10:29 PM  

You should definitely give some...I know it seems like a long way off, but the longer it's in there, the bigger it grows. I started contributing to mine right after I graduated and was working at Baptist (I was only 22) and you'd be really shocked how big it can get in just a few years. Plus, you would never save much money on your own...so it's a good way to start, it won't change your check that much. Love your blog! and glad everything went ok today, i know you are relieved. Love you.

Anonymous May 8, 2008 at 6:42 AM  

GIVE!!!! You won't believe how the
time flies! Wouldn't it be nice to know you have that instead of worrying about you will be able to make it? Greeting customers at Walmart can't pay that much!
Besides, you always adjust your living to what you bring home in your pay check. It is much harder to voluntarily take it out yourself. Just think of it as a tax.

I LOVE READING YOUR BLOG!!!!